What is Further Mathematics?
Further Mathematics is an AS/A level qualification which both broadens and
deepens the mathematics covered in
AS/A level Mathematics.
Why Study Further Mathematics?
There are many good reasons to take Further Mathematics:
- Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience.
- For someone who enjoys and excels at mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
- It makes the transition to a mathematics-rich university course easier
- Some prestigious university courses will only accept students with Further Mathematics qualifications.
- It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in the employment market.
What Will I Learn?
Higher level Core Mathematics and deeper level Statistics and Mechanics. Additional work will include the management-algorithm based Decision Maths.
- Analytical Skills – clear thinking,
attention to detail, ability to follow
complex reasoning, ability to understand
and construct logical arguments.
- Communication skills – ability to answer
questions clearly and to communicate an
argument precisely and logically, both
orally and in written form.
- Investigative Skills – knowing where and
how to find information.
- Learning Skills – ability to understand
difficult concepts and apply them to a
- Problem Solving Skills – being able to
present a solution clearly, take a flexible
approach, tackle a problem with
confidence and appreciate when to seek
- Self management – thorough
approaches to work, time management,
ability to work independently,
What Do I Need to Study Further Mathematics?
- Five GCSE grades A*- C
- GCSE Maths grade 7 or above
If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us:
Ms O Tattum, Head of Sixth Form
0161 212 1930
Mr M Scott, Subject Contact for